By Anna Backman Rogers
Read or Download American Independent Cinema (Edinburgh Studies in Film Eup) PDF
Best film & video art books
A few of the such a lot celebrated British motion pictures of the rapid post-war interval (1945-55) appear to be enthusiastic about "getting on" with existence and supplying distraction for postwar audiences. it's the time of the distinguished Ealing comedies, Hue and Cry (1946) and sort Hearts and Coronets (1949), Dickens diversifications, and the main formidable initiatives of the Archers.
This publication contributes to the turning out to be literature at the biopic style by way of outlining and exploring the conventions of the postfeminist biopic. It does so by means of studying fresh motion pictures in regards to the lives of recognized girls together with Sylvia Plath, Frida Kahlo, Virginia Woolf and Jane Austen.
A feedback frequently leveled at liberal democratic tradition is its emphasis at the person over group and personal existence over civic participation. notwithstanding, liberal democratic tradition has a extra advanced dating to notions of citizenship. As Michael Kaplan exhibits, citizenship contains an immense subject matter of renowned leisure, particularly Hollywood movie, and infrequently takes the shape of friendship narratives; and this is often no coincidence.
Because the free up of The Exorcist in 1973, there was a surge of flicks depicting younger ladies turning into possessed by means of a demonic strength that simply male non secular figures can exorcise, thereby saving the ladies from eventual damnation. This e-book considers this historical past of exorcism cinema through reading how the normal exorcism narrative, verified within the Exorcist, recurs around the exorcism subgenre to symbolize the results of demonic ownership and formality exorcism.
- Politics of Architecture in Contemporary Argentine Cinema (Hispanic Urban Studies)
- Film, Faith, and Cultural Conflict: The Case of Martin Scorsese's The Last Temptation of Christ: The Case of Martin Scorsese's "The Last Temptation of Christ"
- Film and Television Scores, 1950–1979: A Critical Survey by Genre
- The Postmillennial Vampire: Power, Sacrifice and Simulation in True Blood, Twilight and Other Contemporary Narratives
- Television in the Multichannel Age: A Brief History of Cable Television
Additional info for American Independent Cinema (Edinburgh Studies in Film Eup)
American Independent Cinema (Edinburgh Studies in Film Eup) by Anna Backman Rogers