By Michael Kazin,Rebecca Edwards,Adam Rothman
An crucial source for somebody drawn to U.S. background and politics, this two-volume encyclopedia covers the main forces that experience formed American politics from the founding to this present day. huge in scope, the publication addresses either the normal themes of political history--such as eras, associations, political events, presidents, and founding documents--and the broader matters of present scholarship, together with army, electoral, and monetary occasions, in addition to social activities, pop culture, faith, schooling, race, gender, and more.
every one article, particularly commissioned for this ebook, is going past uncomplicated proof to supply readers with the most important context, professional research, and proficient views at the evolution of yankee politics. Written by way of greater than one hundred seventy top historians and social scientists, The Princeton Encyclopedia of yankee Political History supplies scholars, students, and researchers authoritative introductions to the subject's most crucial themes and a primary step to additional research.
- Features approximately one hundred ninety entries, geared up alphabetically and written by means of a exceptional crew of students, together with Dean Baker, Lewis L. Gould, Alexander Keyssar, James T. Kloppenberg, Patricia Nelson Limerick, Lisa McGirr, Mark A. Noll, Jack N. Rakove, Nick Salvatore, Stephen Skowronek, Jeremi Suri, and Julian E. Zelizer
- Describes key political classes and eras, from the founding to the current day
- Traces the historical past of political associations, events, and founding records
- Explains principles, philosophies, and activities that formed American politics
- Presents the political heritage and impact of geographic areas
- Describes the jobs of ethnic, racial, and non secular teams within the political procedure
- Explores the impact of mass tradition, from political cartoons to the web
- Examines routine concerns that form political campaigns and coverage, from category, gender, and race to crime, schooling, taxation, balloting, welfare, and lots more and plenty extra
- Includes bibliographies, cross-references, appendixes, a complete index, and greater than 50 illustrations and maps
Read Online or Download The Princeton Encyclopedia of American Political History. (Two volume set) PDF
Best political history & theory books
This quantity assembles a gaggle of major local specialists to formulate the 1st rigorous and accomplished attention of multiculturalism debates in South and East Asia. via shut exam of pre-colonial traditions, colonial legacies, and post-colonial ideologies, this quantity sheds new mild on non secular and ethnic clash within the region, and provides a ground-breaking evaluate of what role--if any --the foreign group should still play in selling multiculturalism.
As Harle indicates, identification politics are not anything new. Post-Cold conflict ethnic conflicts and genocides are mere examples in a convention the place political conflicts are noticeable as struggles among strong and evil. this practice extends from historic Iranian Zoroastrianism and classical Greek political conception as much as today's American, Russian, and ecu politics.
This ebook analyzes the ways that US coverage towards Iraq was once dictated by way of America's broader chilly struggle procedure among 1958 and 1975. whereas so much historians have interested by “hot” chilly battle conflicts equivalent to Cuba, Vietnam, and Afghanistan, few have famous Iraq's value as a chilly warfare battleground.
The members to this booklet significantly learn the functionality of latest modes of governance in parts of constrained statehood, drawing on various in-depth case reviews on problems with weather switch, biodiversity, and health. The Paris contract for weather switch or the Sustainable improvement ambitions (SDGs) depend upon new modes of governance for implementation.
- Engines of Diplomacy: Indian Trading Factories and the Negotiation of American Empire
- Sir Harold Nicolson and International Relations: The Practitioner as Theorist
- Before the State: Systemic Political Change in the West from the Greeks to the French Revolution
- The German Stranger: Leo Strauss and National Socialism
- Pride, Prejudice, and Politics: Roosevelt Versus Recovery, 1933-1938: Roosevelt Versus Recovery, 1933-38 (Periodicals and Newspapers)
Additional info for The Princeton Encyclopedia of American Political History. (Two volume set)
The Princeton Encyclopedia of American Political History. (Two volume set) by Michael Kazin,Rebecca Edwards,Adam Rothman